Event organizers now have the ability to create promo codes that can applied specifically to products during the registration process. Promo codes can be created to provide discounted prices on sub-events, products within registration, or both at once with the same code.
Please follow the steps below to create a promo code for your products:
1. From your event dashboard, click on discounts -> promo codes under the settings tab from the lefthand side menu
2. On the promo code settings page, click the green add promo code button and click the white add promo code button to begin creating your new promo code.
3. Give your promo code a name and an internal note if necessary.
4. Under the section Apply discount to, select whether you would like this promo code to be redeemable for only sub-events, only products, or both sub-events and products. Specify any sub-event/product restrictions for this selection if needed.
5. Complete the setup of your promo code by entering in the following information:
- Redemption limit - how many times a promo code can be used
- Discount type
- Percentage - (Ex: 50% discount)
- Flat fee discount - (Ex: $50 discount)
- Set price - Forces the participant to pay the price that is inputted for the code (Ex: a set price code of $50 will force the registrant to pay $50 at checkout)
- Discount amount
- Date range (optional - registration open and close dates will be used by default)
- Sub-event restrictions (optional)
- Active - code is available for use and can be redeemed
- Inactive - code is unavailable for use and can not be redeemed
6. Click save once complete. Your promo code will now be active and redeemable on your event page based off of the parameters created in the previous steps. You will be able to view the total discount being applied to your order from the checkout screen.
NOTE: Promo codes that are created with either a flat fee discount or a set price discount will not necessarily apply the discounted value of the code equally between the sub-event and the product. The value of the promo code will be discounted proportionately from the applicable selected items based off the prices of the sub-event or products, with a higher portion of the discount applying to the more expensive of the two options.
For example, if a sub-event costs $10, and a product costs $5, and we apply a $10 flat fee promo code to both the sub-event and the product, a higher portion of the sub-event cost will be deducted from the checkout total because of its higher price. (In this example, $7.50 of the discount will come from the sub-event price, and $2.50 will be discounted from the cheaper product price. The discount amount allocated to the applicable items selected will vary based on differences in price points between the items.)
This is important to note as the amounts discounted from both sub-event registrations and product purchases will affect how credits will be applied to participant transfers, as well as any refunds issued at a later date.