The timer email campaign tool is separate from Race Roster's regular email campaign tool and is used to send out both participant messages as well post-race results. The timer campaign tool has unique results merge tags that are not available within the regular email campaign tool which allow for it to be used to communicate results efficiently after a race's completion.
To setup a timer email campaign on your event, please follow the steps below.
1. From your event dashboard, click on Apps -> Timer Email Campaigns from the lefthand side menu.
2. You will be redirected to a dashboard displaying any upcoming events that you are listed as having staff access on (past events can be filtered on). Click the blue edit timer email campaigns button from the righthand side of the page for the event you wish to create a campaign for.
3. Before creating and sending out your campaign, you will need to create a verified sender just as you would with the regular Race Roster email campaign tool. Navigate to the senders tab at the top of your page and click create new sender to begin creating your sender. Please refer to our support article outlining how to add a sender for email campaigns here.
4. Once your sender is verified, return to the campaigns tab at the top of your page and click the green create a campaign button to begin creating your timer email campaign.
5. On the Setup step for your campaign, input the following information:
- Campaign name (only visible internally, not to participants)
- Select your preferred email settings
- Registration: the campaign will use the email address associated to a participant's registration in the participant list
- Results: REQUIRES that the uploaded results data has a column included with participants' email addresses and will use this email address to send emails to participants
- An alternate email address reply (optional)
- Email subject (the subject of the email participants will receive)
Click save & continue once complete.
6. Next is the Criteria step. We will configure the campaign's send schedule and select when it should send. We have three options to choose for our campaign's send:
- Upon match
- Campaign will send to all contacts who match criteria, on an ongoing basis, until set end date
- At scheduled time
- Campaign will send to all contacts who match criteria at set send time
- Immediately upon enabling campaign
- Campaign will send to all contacts who match criteria when campaign is initially enabled
You will also want to ensure you are selecting any necessary campaign send/end dates appropriately.
Next, we will configure filters and triggers for our campaign. For our filters, we will select which sub-events and/or races (races are results sets that are created within the results dashboard) we want our campaign to send to. When setting up triggers, select which trigger or action will initiate the send of this campaign to a participant. Triggers can be selected based off of:
- Finish time
- Challenge (progress made during the challenge)
- Segment (segment place, segment race or split time)
7. On the content step, you will draft and customize your timer email campaign before sending it. Using merge tags will allow you to personalize the email for each participant by using their personal information as well as including their final results data (overall place, finishing time, link to finisher's certificate, etc.)
8. The last step is to review and send your campaign on the Overview step. Your campaign details will be listed out on the left-hand side..
Test emails can be sent from the bottom of the page to your own email address to review formatting. Once you are content with your campaign, check off and agree to the anti-spam regulations outlined, and then click send & enable campaign to send your campaign.
Your registrants will now receive your timer email campaign upon meeting the filters and/or triggers that were set in the Criteria step. (View example below of sent email containing populated merge tags)