To access Race Roster email functions your director needs 'MailChimp' and 'Campaigns' activated in their Director & Access Settings. Configuring these options is outlined in this article, How do I change or restrict Director permissions?
The MailChimp API allows you to sync your event participant and volunteer data with pre-created MailChimp lists for greater ease in managing email campaigns.
Why might using this integration be a good idea? With this tool, you no longer need to download an export of your participant or volunteer list and then upload that list into MailChimp. Syncing email data periodically through the API minimizes errors, reduces privacy risks and saves time.
- Go to your dashboard, verify top right that you are using Race Roster as an Event Organizer.
- Scroll to 'Add-ons' on the left-hand menu and select 'MailChimp'.
- Click Connect to connect your MailChimp account.
- Once connected, fill in the fields outlined below
- User Type: choose to upload participants or volunteers
- Sub-Event: select the sub-event you wish to pull data from, i.e. 'All' or 5K, 10K or just 5K
- Mailing List: here you need to choose what list in MailChimp you are syncing data to from Race Roster, if you don't see a list you'd like to use simply click on the blue text that reads '+Create New List' and you will be sent over to MailChimp to create the list and save it
- Return to Race Roster and refresh the 'MailChimp' configuration page
- Under 'Mailing List' select the email list you would like to sync i.e. 4065-April 19 pictured below
- Review the fields you filled out and press 'Sync with MailChimp', a message will appear to notify you that the data upload could take up to 30 minutes. We've never seen it take more than 6-8 minutes, however, if you’re downloading over 5000 records you may wish to grab a bit and a coffee while the syncing completes *keep the browser open while upload completes
Race Roster Best practice: check your number of subscribers on the MailChimp list you intend to sync with Race Roster and write that number down. Once the sync is complete, head back to MailChimp and refresh the email list page to see your change in number of subscribers. If the sync is successful this number will rise.
Looking for more on email campaigns and MailChimp? Visit the section on Email Composer, Campaigns and MailChimp Integration.