Our research tells us that the top two ways people find out about events are word of mouth and electronic word of mouth-also, also known as social media. Above all, hosting an exceptional event will get people talking and when they start talking you'll be in a position to give them a referral opportunity online.
Race Roster has made it easy for you to kickstart this process by allowing you to monetarily compensate participants who choose to promote your event. When setting up your event on Race Roster you have the option to configure your Referral Settings. The amount entered should be equal to the amount of money you would pay a friend to refer another friend to run your race. We recommend 10% of the total registration fee. So for a race that costs $30, you would set a $3 reward.
Referral settings can be found under the Add-Ons section of your event dashboard, or, from your Settings Overview, add referrals to your event by enabling it from the add-ons section.
How it works:
- When participants register for your race they are given a unique link to your Race Roster Registration page
- The confirmation page and email prompt them to share this link with their friends via Facebook, Twitter, and Email
- When someone clicks on the unique link and registers for the event, our platform recognizes that Joe referred Suzy to sign up for the race and automatically credits Joe’s Race Roster account with $3
- Funds earned are reflected in Joe’s Race Roster account and when they reach $15 worth of referrals from your race or any other race on the Race Roster platform the referral funds are paid out to Joe by check
If an event wants to track referrals but does not want to offer a monetary payment to their promoters, there is a tracking only option available within the referral settings. This option allows event organizers to keep track of the number of successful referrals from their promoters, but does not issue any automated payment from Race Roster. Using the tracking only option provides event organizers with the flexibility to reward their promoters through any form of compensation of their choice. Read our article How To Set Up The Tracking Only Option For The Social Referral Tool for more information on this option.
Examples of alternative forms of rewards for successful referrals when using the tracking only option:
- Event merchandise (t-shirts, hoodies, water bottles, etc.)
- Promo codes to discount their registration for future events
- VIP access for any exclusive post-race festivities
Event organizers will be able to keep track of your promoters' efforts from the marketing section of your event dashboard, or, by tracking referrals from your event's transaction report and filtering for referral transactions.
If you have questions about our referral tool, please reach out to Customer Success at email@example.com and a member of our team would be happy to assist you.